|1 | 2||Next »|
HOW TO INSTALL A PAVER PATIO OR WALKWAY
- Compaction of the soil sub-grade and aggregate base materials are essential to the long-term performance of an interlocking concrete paver patio or walkway.
- Drainage should also be addressed in the system.
Installing a Paver Patio or Walkway:
- Lay out the paver patio or walkway by spray painting the design on the grass or using a garden hose to get a good feel for how the client wants it to look.
- Remove the grass with picks and shovels and store it until the project is completed. Put some back against the patio at final completion for back fill and sod.
- Frame up the design with flexible plastic edge restraints that also work well for the rounded corners.
- The client must approve the forms before we install the paver system.
- Install the plastic edging using 12″ spikes to keep the edging in place.
- Compact the soil sub-grade using a vibrating machine and test for compaction (critical).
- Apply a Geo-textile fabric over the compacted soil so as to not co-mingle the Virgina Red Clay soil with the next layer of sub-base.
- Spread and compact the sub-base of 21-A stone aggregates, using 2″ lifts to a total of 4″. To achieve a 2″ lift you must compact 3″ of gravel.
- Spread, compact and screed (level off) the base of concrete sand in a 1″ lift.
- Place concrete pavers in the correct pattern and lock into place.
- Cut pavers to fit edges and around obstacles such as deck posts.
- Install concrete sand between the paver joints and vibrate the pavers to "lock in" the pavers to one another.
- Sweep in our upgraded polymeric sand. Polymeric sand has a glue base and will harden and not erode as quickly. That means no tracking of sand in the house, no erosion thru the patio and no ants nesting in it.
- Compact concrete paver patio or walkway using the same compactor as for the soil compaction; however, change the plate to a rubber plate so as not to scuff the stones.
- Blow off the paver patio or paver walkway with a leaf blower to remove any residue (glue) from the surface.
- Lightly spray with water and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Spray again and let cure.
- You should be able to use your paver patio or paver walkway in 24 hours.
- For driveways we go an additional 2" deep.